This guide describes how to configure Nimblr user synchronization with Google Directory.
|Note! When synchronization with Google Directory has been enabled, you can no longer manually add or remove users in the Nimblr portal. Users previously added manually to the portal will be deleted if they cannot be matched with Google users.
1. Login to your Google Cloud console: https://console.cloud.google.com/
2. Go to APIs and services and select Create a project. (If you already have existing projects - choose “New project” under the “Select a project” drop-down).
3. Name your project, f.ex. “Nimblr User Sync”, select your organization and location, then click Create.
4. Click Select Project in the notification that shows
5. In the left menu, under APIs and services click Enable APIs and services
6. Click ENABLE APIS AND SERVICES
7. Use the search field and type Admin SDK API and select Admin SDK API when shown in the search results
8. On the next screen click ENABLE
9. On the left hand side select OAuth consent screen, select Internal and click Create
10. Enter an App name, f.ex. “Nimblr”
11. Select a User support email
12. Scroll down to the Developer contact information and add the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
13. Click SAVE AND CONTINUE
14. Click ADD OR REMOVE SCOPES, find and add the following scopes:
When all scopes are entered, click UPDATE and you should see the scopes presented like in the picture below:
Click SAVE AND CONTINUE followed by BACK TO DASHBOARD
15. Select Credentials in the left hand menu, click CREATE CREDENTIALS and select OAuth client ID
16. On the next screen set the Application type to Web application and set a name, f.ex. “Nimblr User Sync”.
17. Below Authorised redirect URIs click ADD URI and exter the following text: https://nimblr.net/go/google/reg/
18. Click CREATE
19. Copy Your Client ID and Your Client Secret and save them in a document, then click OK. The credentials will be needed in a later step.
20. Login to your Nimblr account at https://nimblr.net and navigate to the Integrations section under the Settings menu and select Integration type Google.
21. Paste the Client ID and the Client Secret from previous step (19) into the form. Click Save Changes and a consent screen like below should show. Click Allow.
22. Connection to Google Workspace should now be active and a status box like below
should now show.
23. Choose the User Activation you wish to use. This can be changed at any time.
Activate new users manually - This option will set status “Pending” to any new user(s) that is added from the external directory synchronization. An administrator will have to manually activate the users for the training program to start.
Activate new users automatically - This option will automatically activate any new user(s) that is added from the external directory synchronization and immediately start sending training invitations and/or simulations to the user(s).
24. You’re now asked to select the preferred Group membership method and click Save Changes.
Linked - Enables you to assign one or more external directory groups to Nimblr groups. This option is often used in multi-language enterprises with employees in different countries to automatically give them membership in a Nimblr group that has a specific language configured. The assigning of groups are made in the Groups > Integration settings after the Integration settings have been completed.
Manual - Will synchronize all new users to the Nimblr default group and allows for users to be manually moved into different Nimblr Groups.
25. Select what Groups to be synchronized. This option is only available if Group Membership is set to Manually.
Add the external directory group(s) that should be synchronized and assigned to the Nimblr Default Group. You may still create additional Nimblr Groups and manually assign users to different Nimblr Groups. To use this option you must manually specify the name of the Azure Group to synchronize in the Nimblr configuration window.
26. Click Save Changes.
Assigning Groups (ONLY for with the Automatic Group Membership option)
After completing the Directory Integration configuration Google Directory groups may now be assigned to a Nimblr group. You might want to create additional Nimblr groups before starting assigning external directory groups to Nimblr Groups - this is done from the Groups menu, click Add New Group to add a new Nimblr Group. The new groups settings will be inherited from the ‘default group’ but may be changed/updated independently.
To assign users from a specific external directory group to a Nimblr group navigate click Edit on the Group you wish to associate with one or more external directory groups, then click Integration menu. Add one or more external directory groups and click Save Changes.
Navigate to Settings > Integrations and click Synchronize now to resync all users.
Manual Synchronization and settings
The external directory user synchronization automatically runs every 24 hours. You may initiate a manual synchronization at any time by navigating to the Integrations under the Settings menu and click Synchronize now. You may also re-conﬁgure or deactivate the external directory Synchronization at any time clicking the Remove Connection or Change connection in the Integrations section of the Settings menu.
Available Azure Groups
The list of available external directory groups is dynamic, an external directory group that has already been assigned to a Nimblr Group will not show in the list.
One user - one group
Since a user may only be a member of one Nimblr group - make sure just to use external directory groups where no user is presented in more than one of the external directory groups. Users that appear in multiple external directory groups assigned to multiple Nimblr
groups will only be members of one of the Nimblr Groups.